For many people who lose weight, examining their eating habits and changing them to include lean protein, vegetables, and fruit leads to success. For some people, like Hannah Lester, having a recipe that is easy to incorporate into her daily routine has helped her maintain her weight loss for seven years. For others like Dr. Kevin Gendreau, having healthy swapping for foods he loves makes maintaining his weight loss fun and tasty.
Four people who have been successful in losing and keeping weight shared must-have recipes with TODAY.
Kevin Gendreau, who lost 125 pounds
After Gendreau’s sister died of ovarian cancer, he reassessed her health and found that her 300 pounds was causing her to suffer from many health issues, such as high blood pressure and cholesterol. , diabetes and sleep apnea. In 2017, he started intermittent fasting with a low-carb diet. Since then he has lost 125 pounds and has managed to maintain his loss while reversing his condition. Making healthy versions of the foods he loves helps him maintain his healthy habits.
Low-Carb, Keto-Friendly Coconut Macaroons
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 cup erythritol / monk fruit
- 1/8 cup almond flour
- 1 cup unsweetened grated coconut
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- 1/4 cup melted chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg whites and erythritol / monk fruit until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut, vanilla and butter.
- Once stiff peaks have formed, fold all of the ingredients together.
- Form 8-10 small 1½-2 inch domes and place them on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the tops of the macaroons begin to brown.
- Melt about 1 / 8-1 / 4 cup of chocolate chips, if using, and drizzle on top.
Hannah Lester, who lost 123 pounds
Starting the morning off on the right foot helps many people maintain their healthy eating habits throughout the day. Lester lost 123 pounds after realizing she was “the fat friend” and has maintained her loss for seven years. She admits that she doesn’t like to cook, but relies on a few simple tips that make it easier to eat healthy foods.
- A portion of yogurt
- A handful of your favorite fruit
- A portion of granola
Place yogurt in a bowl and garnish with fruit and granola.
Al Roker’s keto breakfast
After Al Roker starts his day at 4 a.m. with a workout, he often makes a batch of his ketogenic diet breakfast, an easy-to-make egg muffin. This muffin includes foods that so many people enjoy: eggs, cheese, vegetables, and meat.
Keto Egg Muffins
- 6-8 eggs
- A spoonful of half-and-half or heavy cream
- Leftover vegetables from the fridge
- Grated cheese plus an extra slice for each muffin top
- Beat eggs with half and half cream or heavy cream.
- Fill four to six places in a giant muffin tin with the egg mixture.
- Add the leftover vegetables.
- Crumble with bacon.
- Top with grated cheese of your choice.
- Bake at 350 to 400 F until puffed and brown (about 30 minutes).
- Place another slice of cheese on top and return it to the oven until it melts.
Bridget Nieves, who lost over 100 pounds
When Bridget Nieves read a report that noted obesity was a risk factor that contributed to the deaths of people with COVID-19, she decided to lose weight. Nieves, who can be found on Instagram as Make friends with food, ordered a squad to encourage each other to exercise and made healthy changes to their diet. She tracked her food and planned what she was going to eat using the Lose It app! In 11 months, she lost 103 pounds.
“For me, the most important thing has been to find ways to incorporate the foods that I love without restricting myself and while creating a calorie deficiency,” she said TODAY. “I had to find creative ways to modify the foods I love to make them healthier.”
She shared two recipes that can help anyone hoping to make changes to healthy foods.
- 3 ounces of organic spinach and kale
- 1 ounce of grated fat free mozzarella
- About 1 cup of 100% liquid egg whites
- A small amount of turkey pepperoni
- Spray a medium pan with olive oil spray.
- Sauté spinach and kale over medium heat.
- Spray again.
- Add the egg whites and cook well.
- Top with mozzarella and pepperoni and cover, reduce heat to low and cook for two to three minutes, until cheese is melted.
Nieves even offers a dessert for gourmets.
Reese’s Air Fried Oreo and Cup of Peanut Butter
- 1 crescent triangle
- 2 Oreo slims
- 1 cup Reese’s Snack Size Peanut Butter
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Open the crescent roll, remove a triangle and cut it into two equal halves.
- Roll out the dough thinly with a rolling pin.
- Place two Oreo things in a dough triangle.
- Place a Reese inside the other triangle of dough.
- Fold the dough around the cookies and smooth, sealing all edges.
- Bake in the air fryer for 10 minutes at 350 F.
- Remove from air fryer and let cool for two minutes.
- Top with sifted powdered sugar.