- Grease a six-hole mini bread tray or six individual mini load trays. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar with a stand mixer. Add 1 egg at a time, then add ¼ cup honey, vanilla bean paste and cinnamon and mix until combined.
- Stir in the flour, then divide the batter into the greased mini loaf pans.
- Peel (see note) and core the apples and cut into wedges. Thinly slice the apples from the outside in, but not completely (see note).
- Place a piece of apple in the dough of each bread. The top of each piece will stick out of the dough. Sprinkle the demerara sugar on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool briefly in the tin. Remove and drizzle with remaining honey. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
• You need six apple pieces for this recipe. You can use 1½ apple, cut six quarters with half an apple remaining, or cut six “cheeks”, 3 from each of two apples. You can also leave the skin on for a different texture.
• Khan’s trick to easily slicing apples is to use two chopsticks as guide rails. Place the apple piece between two parallel chopsticks, with the outside of the apple piece facing up. Carefully holding the chopsticks and apple in one hand and the knife in the other, make repeated downward slices; the chopsticks will stop the knife before it hits the board or bench.