10. Leaving a 2cm margin at the top of the dough (to allow the cinnamon rolls to seal), sprinkle and spread the cinnamon topping mixture evenly over the dough.
11. Starting from the bottom of the dough (closest to you), roll the dough gently but tightly.
12. Cut your length of dough in half, then cut each half into 6 x 5 cm pieces (you will have 12 pieces in total).
13. Place your cinnamon rolls in round cake pans (6 per 20cm pan) or on a baking sheet sprayed with oil and cover with plastic wrap.
14. Place in a warm place (the oven with the light on is my choice) and let rise for 1-2 hours, until the rolls have almost doubled in size.
15. During the last 30 minutes of rising, preheat the oven to 180°C.
16. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until rolls are golden brown.
Ingredients – Cream Cheese Frosting
– 160g cream cheese
– 100g icing sugar
– 50 g whole milk
– 1¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
– ⅛ (or slightly less – just the smallest pinch!) citric acid, or a squeeze of lemon juice (1 tsp)
– Optional: toasted nuts, to garnish
17. For the cream cheese frosting, place all the ingredients in a pitcher and use a hand mixer to mix until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can easily whip everything together (but make sure you have room temperature cream cheese) – I just find the immersion blender easier and faster! This will make a little more than you need for 12 buns, but if you’re like me, you’ll both want to put more on your buns/in your mouth.
18. Top buns with cream cheese frosting while still warm. It’s best to eat them the day you cook them, but if you want to save some to reheat another day, wrap them up and store them in the fridge unglazed, then microwave them and glaze them. when eating them.
19. Optional: garnish with toasted nuts.
Tori Falzon is a trained chef and nutritionist turned recipe developer and social media manager. Under her “Into The Sauce” brand, Tori shares her obsessively tried and tested recipes, inspiring for everything from weeknight meals to entertaining. Tori’s other skills include finding tips and efficiencies in life and cooking, fashion and style, and finding amazing products at the best price. You can follow her on Instagram
Feature Image: Instagram / @intothesauce.
We want to know your version of Family! Take this survey for a chance to win a $100 gift certificate.